In August 2014, Gas Industry Co updated the Minister of Energy and Resources on the following interconnection matters:
- Report on interconnections to Maui and Vector transmission pipelines: relating to the physical interconnections of the McKee/Mangahewa field facilities to the Maui pipeline and the Sidewinder and Cardiff/Cheal field facilities to the Vector pipeline.
- Report on gas trading market interconnections and related issues: relating to the establishment of the NZX Limited gas trading market on the Maui transmission pipeline and Energy Market Services (a commercial business within Transpower Limited and since renamed emsTradepoint) gas trading market on the Vector transmission pipeline.
These reports can be found under Related Documents below.
These are the latest in a series of assessments and updates to the Minister since 2009:
- In a letter to the Minister, dated 20 December 2013, Gas Industry Co advised that in response to the 2011 request, it had reviewed two physical interconnections to the Vector pipeline, but that no substantial interconnections to the Maui pipeline had occurred. Gas Industry Co proposes waiting for these interconnections before completing our review.
- This letter also advised that while gas trading market interconnections did not involve physical equipment, trading on a centralised platform was a new concept for the New Zealand gas market with the potential to improve market efficiency. Gas Industry Co therefore suggested to the Minister that these 'interconnections' were also reviewed.
- In a letter dated 9 March 2011, the Associate Minister of Energy and Resources acknowledged progress reported in 2010 and requested Gas Industry Co to '…undertake a formal review of the current interconnection arrangements after the next two interconnections to each of the transmission pipelines, or by the end of 2013, whichever is sooner.'
- In 2010, Gas Industry Co formally assessed improved interconnection arrangements against the objectives of the Gas Act 1992 and Government Policy Statement on Gas Governance 2008 from the 2009 assessment. The findings were generally favourable.
- In 2009, Gas Industry Co conducted an initial review of the interconnection arrangements of both MDL and Vector against the Guidelines. Both MDL and Vector made further improvements in response.