Contact your retailer
or network provider
Highlights of the September 2016 Report:
- Trustpower has decided to discontinue its Energy Direct brand, and the bulk of Energy Direct customers were transferred to Trustpower during the month of September. These transfers have been excluded from the switching statistics. Although this transfer process was not yet completed at the end of September, the market share statistics in this report treat residual Energy Direct customers as Trustpower customers.
- About 4,500 gas consumers switch retailer each month, about 19.4% of gas consumers have switched in the past 12 months. Switching rates have been over 18% for more than two years.
- About 85% of customer switches are completed within three business days.
- 61% of residential consumer sites have switched retailer at least once in the past seven years; 66% of small commercial and 77% of large commercial sites have switched at least once.
- Over 99% of gas customers are connected to a gate where seven or more retailers trade, suggesting that the gas retail sector is generally competitive throughout the North Island.
- Average annual unaccounted-for gas (UFG) over the past year stands at about 1.0% (compared with about 2% in 2009).
- Genesis is the largest retailer by customer share. Nova has the largest share of commercial and industrial customers.
- Genesis, Vector Gas and Nova Energy are the largest retailers by volume market share.
Previous quarterly reports can be found in the side navigation.